Mathematical Analysis: Edward’s Age listed in parenthesis
End notes and sources are listed in italics in the text (I could not get blogger to do superscript nimbers)
1794 or 1800? Ward, Edward b. Maryland (What county?)
Discrepancy for birth date: (Census 1850, 1900) MD. Family Legend: Living relative suggests Lynchburg, VA (The Dye family went there to mortician school) and suggested that this is where Edward Ward was born.
1800 Putnam County Sentinel Death Notice 8 says Edward was 78 years old when he died but does not give birth location.
1808 Miller, Margaret birth location discrepancy: b. Virginia (1900 census) b. PA (1850 Census)
1825 Ward, Edward m. Margaret Miller (Ancestry; MD Marriages 1655-1850) Allegheny County, MD
Edward 8 Sep 1825 Margaret Miller5
(note: this fits with the birth date of the first child) (Age 25)
1826 Ward, John b. to Edward Ward VA(1850 Census5: John is 14) (Age 26)
1830 Census Edward Ward 9, Washington Township, Holmes County, Ohio (Note: This census lists only the head of household and tic marks(age 30)
1830 Census Males Females
under 5 1 1
over 30 under 40 1 1
1830 Census Ward, Edward in Washington Township, Holmes County, Ohio.
1831 DL Ward, Joel b. January to Edward Ward OH (18505 census, Joel is 11 yrs)(age 31)
1838 Ward, William b. to Edward Ward OH (18505 census age 4? hard to read on census.)
(age 38) 1840 Census4 Edward Ward - Mohican township, Wayne County, Ohio (age 40) (note: This census has only the head of household and tic marks for each category of persons: This household has a total of total persons; four females and four males.)
1846 February 24 Ashland County formed (Maybe Edward did not move but a new county was formed) OH, Ashland County formed. (age 46)
1850 Mohican, Ashland County, Ohio Census. At the 1850 Census, Ashland OH, Joel Ward was 18 and his father was Edward Ward5 Edward Ward age 50 (b. 1800) born MD ( Discrepancy: 2 census say he was born in VA) (age 50) Margaret is age 40 and was born in Pennsylvania. Value of real estate is 1,000.
1849 Child of Edward - Edward L. Ward age 1 born in Ohio (b. 1849) 18505 census Edward L. is age 1; 1860 census is age 11)(age 49)
1850 Ward, Edward Census-Mohican township OH, Ashland County (age 50)
1854 Ward, John M. is in the 1860 census and is age 6.
GRANDCHILDREN OF EDWARD WARD: BORN TO JOEL WARD:
1858 Ward, Sarah b. to Joel Ward, Pleasant township: (1860 census) OH, Putnam County, OH (Edward age 58)
1859 Ward, Mary b. to Joel Ward, December (1860 Census) Pleasant township OH, Putnam County, OH (Edward age 59)
1860 Census6. Edward Ward: age 59: Census was taken on the 2nd day Of August, 1860 and Edward was not yet age 60. So, it is possible that Edward’s birthdate falls somewhere between August 2 and December 31 of 1800. (age 59) Birthplace is listed on this census as Va. (Virginia) Margaret is age 52 and her birthplace is Pa. Edward’s Value of Real estate ins 2500 and his personal estate is 500.
1860 Ward, Joel Census: Pleasant twp Oh, Putnam Co., OH (says Edward Ward was born in Virginia) (Edward age 60)
According to the 1870 Census7 Edward is 76 years old and that would mean he was born in 1794. The census also lists Virginia as his birthplace. The column for US citizen is checked. GW Ward is age 25 and is not listed as head of household, occupation is teamster. WJ Ward (probably son of Edward Ward: William based on age) is listed above Edward as head of household in line number 6, dwelling number 26 and family number 28. His age is listed as age 31, a calculated birthdate back from 1870 indicates a birthdate 1839 for William suggests that this is Edward’s son. William’s children are as follows: John (age 11), Margaret (age ), Edward and Hester (9/12). Census date is August 29, 1870. Interesting note: there is no female listed other than Anna (age 29) who is listed as occupation “housekeeper” She is listed as having no surname which means that we can deduce that her surname is Ward and she is probably the mother of the Ward children.
(Note: The relationships between Head of Household and household members are not listed in the 1870 census, so we have to make a best guess based on what we know and correlate it with earlier census records) On the page before 447B we find page 447B in which we find John Ward (age 45) this correlates with Edward Ward’s son John Ward born in 1826. Ancestry erroneously lists him as John Farst, which is inconsistent with the same handwritten “Ward” which Ancestry lists as “Ward” on the next page where we find William Ward, so I suggest this person is John Ward. The birth location for John Ward differs from other census records. This 1870 census lists John as born in Ohio not Virginia. We have another discrepancy which does not help promote the hypothesis that John was born in Virginia one year after Edward Ward married Margaret Miller. John Ward’s occupation is Carpenter and his wife Martha is listed as age 45 and “housekeeper”. There is one child mentioned: Rachel who is age 11. (Note in 1870 Edward should have been 70 years old not 76)
1871 Edward Ward Dies on 5 September 1878: Text of Death notice:
"On Wednesday of last week about noon, Mr. Edward Ward, of this village departed this life after an illness of only a few days, at the advanced age of 78 years. On account of friends living at a distance he was not buried until Friday afternoon. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Scoles in the Methodist Church"8.
(If Edward was 76 years old in 1870 how could he be 78 years old one year later?)
1. http://www.familysearch.org (IGI Individual record) Batch no: 7115928; Sheet: 81; Source call No: 1235278 type: film ( Internal Document number 312)
(Note: Los Angeles Public Library call number: 977.1K4Hi2; page 830; published 1881 A.A. Graham and Co., Compiled by N.N. Hill Junior; Mt. Vernon, OH ( Internal Document number 350) )
2. Living Ancestor: Phone Call: family was from Lynchburg, Virginia (?) Apparently there are still Wards there? Possibly e-mail one of them? Maybe.. 1900 census says Edward was born in MD, but one of his children was born in Virginia... Is his wife from VA or PA??
4. 1840 Census. Year: 1840; Census Place: Mohican, Wayne, Ohio; Roll 20; Page: 432; Image: 44, line 29; Family History Library Film: 0020179. Ancestry.com. 1840 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
Original data: Sixth Census of the United States, 1840. (NARA microfilm publication M704, 580 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C.
5. 1850 CensusYear: 1850; Census Place: Mohican, Ashland, Ohio; Roll M432_658; Page: 75A; Image: 410. ( line number unidentifiable because of fold in scan of document) Dwelling number 185, family number: 287; Ancestry.com. 1850 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch. Original data: Seventh Census of the United States, 1850; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M432, 1009 rolls); Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
6. 1860 Census. Year: 1860; Census Place: Pleasant, Putnam, Ohio; Roll M653_1027; Page: 431; Image: 244; line 37, dwelling number: 570 and family number 570; Family History Library Film: 805027. Ancestry.com. 1860 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch. Original data: 1860 U.S. census, population schedule. NARA microfilm publication M653, 1,438 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
7. Ancestry. Online Database. Year: 1870; Census Place: Columbus Grove, Putnam, Ohio; Roll M593_1260; Page: 447B; Image: 326; line 12. Family History Library Film: 552759. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?h=37816660&db=1870usfedcen&indiv=try
8. Ohio Obituary Index: Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center: Putnam County District Library: Photo copy of death notice from the Putnam County Sentinel: page 3 Column 5. (Putnam County District Library, Fort Jennings Location (PO Box 218, 655 North Water Street; Fort Jennings, Ohio (419) 286-2351)
9. 1830 U S Census: Washington, Holmes, Ohio, Page: 315; NARA Roll: M19-133; Family History Film: 0337944.Ancestry.com. 1830 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.Original data: Fifth Census of the United States, 1830. (NARA microfilm publication M19, 201 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C.