Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!



A Celtic psaltery: being mainly renderings in English verse from Irish ...
By Alfred Perceval Graves
Publisher: The F. A. Stokes company, 1917

THE BREASTPLATE OF ST. PATRICK
Otherwise called " The Deer's Cry." For St. Patrick sang this hymn when the ambuscades were laid against him by King Leary that he might go to Tara to sow the Faith. Then it seemed to those lying in ambush that he and his monks were wild deer with a fawn, even Benen (Benignus) following him.

I arise on my way,
With God's Strength for my stay,
God's Might to protect me,
God's Wisdom to direct me,
God's Eye to be my providence,
God's Ear to take my evidence,
God's Word my words to order,
God's Hand to be my warder,
God's Way to lie before me,
God's Shield and Buckler o'er me,
God's Host Unseen to save me,
From each ambush of the Devil.

Digitized 2008 by Google Books

No comments: