Search This Blog

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Genealogical Organization, My Own Research

I have been working on filing new documents. I have a numbering system I use to track the documents. I used to make a table of contents for each surname and record type and then put it on Legacy but now I put it on Legacy first so that I can keep track of where I left off in my research. I use the Chicago Manual of style format with footnotes that list my sources.

Lately, I have found a nice clean time line to be invaluable for tracking my family. I have one for each surname instead of one for each individual so I can track them as a group. I track collateral lines because people often traveled as family groups pre 1900.

Ah....The elusive Ward family: I have found five different Ward families in Lynchburg, VA; none of which I found was Edward Ward b. 1800. Family stories seem to point to Lynchburg. Edward possibly married Margaret Miller in Allegheny County, MD abt. 1825. I amassed a lot of information on the Ward family there and would be willing to share it with anyone who is interested. I did find an Edward Ward in Wheeling, WV (along the National Road into OH from MD) but this Edward's birth date did not match. The census shows Edward in Putnum County, OH in 1830 and later in Ashland County, OH with son Joel.

gs

No comments: