Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Jamboree 2010 summary in three parts: Part 1 Train, Registration, Food and Notes

It was a relaxing seven a.m. train trip from Oceanside to Burbank. It was nice to catch up with friends from the San Diego Genealogical Society and Chula Vista Genealogical Society. We shared our research stories and helped each other with research problems. Upon arrival at Burbank there was a hotel shuttle from the train station to the Airport Marriott for Jamboree. Several of us opted to walk across the street to the Marriott. If you choose to take the Amtrak train attend Jamboree in the future, you need to be aware that you will have to carry all your luggage on the train because Burbank does not have check in baggage service. I forgot about that this year and over packed my suitcase.

Registration for Jamboree is usually done by surname groups to expedite the registration process, I was in S-Z line. I was given a tote bag with my nametag and tickets to the meals I purchased in advance. It is wise to put your meal tickets behind your name tag for easy access. Other options in the area are the “lunch cart” (not too impressive with a soggy turkey sandwich), the cafĂ© in the hotel (this option is pricey and be prepared to wait) and a food court in walking distance (Panda Express, a Japanese restaurant, a smoothie place etc..)

I relied on a netbook for notes and a composition book in case I needed to write notes. This worked out well because by the time I reached the last two classes on Saturday I had a cramp in my calf from propping up the netbook on my lap and I resorted to the composition book for note taking.

Disclaimer: I am a Southern California Genealogical Society Member.

No comments: