Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Jamboree Day 2 Saturday June 9

Saturday at Jamboree was very busy and crowded. One of the two morning sessions I attended was Daniel Horowitz: Genealogical Resources in Latin America. Some of my research requests have been for Latin America. The first one I received was from Mexico and I quickly learned where the record repositories were located. Daniel's session included websites for almost every country in Latin America. Daniel had the most web resources from his home country of Argentina but also a good website selection for Latin America. The next session was D. Josh Taylor: A Broader Context: Using JSTOR for Family History. I was amazed at this resource which is not used much by Genealogists. Although JSTOR is mostly available at Universities it may be possible to obtain a University library card and access JSTOR from home. I was excited about this resource and plan to see where it is offered at a University near my home. I love to read historical peer reviewed journals and which is probably due to the years I spent researching at San Diego State University as a student. The last session of the morning was Michael John Neill's: Preparing for Mother's Death. McNeill explained where to search for documents relating to death. Several items he discussed were familiar to me yet he gave other useful tips. After lunch I went to George Morgan's Timelining Your Ancestor George covered some areas of timelines that I currently use but true to his insight, some of his suggestions were along the lines of methodology for genealogy. Another favorite on Saturday afternoon was Lisa Louise Cooke's 10 Ways to Add Volume to Your Family History with Video. Cooke described how to add video and photos to Google Maps, using You Tube for Genealogy and ways to create Genealogy video for You Tube or digital venues. She introduced us to a free screen capture online tool that I will try to learn and implement. I already know how to use Windows Movie Maker and what I like about it is the ability to save it onto a DVD player format for TV. I have used Windows Movie Maker for publicity for non profit events and it is really easy to use. Another video program that is free is Picasa but it does not have as much functionality as Windows Movie Maker. The last two events of the busy day were the Association for Professional Genealogists Southern California Chapter and a meeting of current and Alumni of the Professional Genealogy Study Groups. I finished the ProGen Study group in December and wanted to encourage those who are still working to complete the 19 month commitment.

No comments: