"Gates--Coming to Leyden about 1780 with his bride, mary allen of Groton, Conn., Pter Gates soon erected a sturdy Cape Cod home on the Rider Road close to the homestead and mill of Henry Thorne. This house, according to West Leyden historian, Clifford Carey, exactly like the Newcomb homestead on Leyden's East Hill. Nearby, David Gates, peter's brother built a home and put up a mill on Green river. Gates Hill, east of the River road was named for these brothers.
On November 22, 1787, a daughter, Lephe, was born to Peter and Mary Gates. This girl later became the mother of John Leonard Riddell... A son, Ephriam, born in 1783 carried on the farm, as did his son Ephriam Allen Gates. "Allen Gates", as he was known married Eunice Franklin of Mayflower stock. Allen's daughter, Hannah, married James Baldwin Miner--thus uniting two of Leyden's pioneer families.[Arms 196]
1. Arms, William Tyler and Masha E. Arms. The History of Leyden Massachusetts 1676-1959. The Enterprise and Journal. Orange, Massachusetts. 1959. p. 196. (Georgina Cole Library, 974.422 H2 ARM.)