Search This Blog

Friday, October 23, 2009

Riddell Family from Coleraine, Northern Ireland to Colrain, Massachusetts

I have been spending some time in the Georgina Cole Library researching the Gates/Riddle (Riddell) family of Colrain, Massachusetts. I found a plat map in the back with my ancestor: Gawn Riddle. His property was located on the border of the Original South East Corner of Colrain near the Green river, close to the Gore Tract which was annexed in 1779. Gawn Riddle settled in Colrain in 1781. Gawn's nearest neighbors were James Wallis who had 100 acres and Charles Stewart. Another relative of Gawn's was the Reverend Samuel Taggart whose daughter Margaret Taggart was married to Gawn. The Reverend Samual Taggart settled in Colrain in 1777 and his property is situated about 495 acres south of Gawn Riddle's property. 1.

1. Patrie, Lois McClellan. A History of Colrain Massachusettes, With Genealogies of early Families.(Georgina Cole Library Gen 974.422 D2 PAT)

Note: Some of the Riddell (Riddle) genealogy is listed in this book but I believe I have already copied it for my research files. The plat map was not in the book I originally copied and I was thrilled to have found it in this book.

No comments: